The kitchen is one of the most complicated remodeling projects because of all the decisions you will make throughout the process. We’ll walk you through this with our planning and buying guides, covering everything from foundation appliances, cabinetry, surfaces and finishes to sustainable products and extras like wine coolers and microwave drawers.
According to Remodeling magazine, a major kitchen renovation can result in a return on investment of between 61 and 70 percent of the cost.
When another drawer front has pulled away from its drawer box, you realize that it is time to renovate your kitchen, but how do you get started? Most people haven’t examined their own or other’s kitchens until this point. First, get together with your family & understand what is & isn’t currently working in your space
Major factors to consider:
- How many people live in the home? Does each person need a prep area or cabinet storage?
- Site lines – what do your guest see from the front door? What do you look at while sitting at the eating area?
- Traffic flow – how easy is it to get to the refrigerator? To walk around the table with the chairs pulled out?
- Do you and your partner cook at the same together? Would you like your children involved in meal preparation? A prep sink would create a separate zone.
- What is currently on your counter? Could it be stored elsewhere? Infrequently used items, such as waffle makers, could go in a pantry until the weekend.
- Do you plan on hosting the holidays? Entertain frequently? One solution is adding double ovens, but alternatives include a warming drawer.